Sunday, April 29, 2018

Ordering the Old Testament

"Is it Kings and then Chronicles?
Chronicles and then Kings?
Which of those minor prophets comes first?
I KNOW that Genesis comes at the beginning."

Has this ever been you?
Your students/kids?
(The older I get, the more it is ME!)

Many years ago, I made a packet of cards 
(along with section dividers)
to help my students begin to sort and learn the 
books of the Old Testament in order.
(and it was ugly, awful, so I just updated it)

I think that learning the sections,
then learning the books in each section
makes it so much easier for our kids (and us) to get the order right.

This activity could be used in many ways,
whole group, small group, etc.
But I mainly used it as a literacy station.

EVERY TIME I used this in a station,
they always wanted the laptop so they could listen to....
(click on it for the YouTube link)

If When you get sick of hearing this song over and over and over again,
 they could simply use a Bible to help with the order until
they are at a point of doing it without help.
I also made several recording sheets to help along the way.
There are sheets for each section and then a huge,
name all the books recording sheet
(this is a time-consuming activity 
so I spread it out over several visits to the learning station).
I also made a cute poster to hang in the classroom.
And if you have made it all the way to the end of this post,
then it is yours for FREE.
(click on the poster to get your FREE copy)

Hopefully this will be a great help to you and your students.

P.S. "Malachi is last for sure."

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I need to print one out for myself and stick it in my bag for church. I find the table of contents in my Bible so small.

    Mandy
    A Special Kind of Class

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips