Saturday, September 16, 2017

Looking Back

I woke up this morning to Danny Gokey singing,
I love this song and one line in particular.
It caught my attention so much this morning,
that when I heard "the line", I repeated it in my head.
(No I'm not crazy, it's just what happens.)

Here's the line...
"Yesterday's a closing door,
you don't live there anymore..."

I got up and got to my Bible study
(I'm in the middle of Job right now,
Chapter 29 to be exact)
and what was it about?????
Job, reliving his "glory days".
Job was talking to his "friends" and
going over his past....
how people had respected him and listened when he talked,
how he had been happily surrounded by his children,
all the good things he had been able to do for others
(the poor, the needy) etc.

Job was looking back,
 remembering how great his life had been,
 and how terrible it was now.

It all made me think about people who cannot get past their "glory days".
Do you know people like that?
People who can't function in the present or look to the future with hope,
because all they can see is how good life used to be...

Job didn't know what was happening to him,
or what had caused his glory days to stop,
and maybe we don't either
but I do know that we make very little (if any) progress
by sitting in our past.

Please remember that God is still God.
HE was God during our "glory days"
and HE is also God during our hard times.

Let's let HIM get us moving,
making progress,
looking ahead with hope.
HE has big plans for us, so let's don't miss our present and our future
by lingering too long in the past.

"Yesterday's a closing door,
You don't live there anymore!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips