Thursday, April 4, 2013

Take It and Make It!

Welcome Back for Take It & Make It with the 2nd Grade Pad.
This week I am featuring a product that's in my TpT store.
It's a Biblical unit focused on the military and it's called
I'm in the Lord's Army.
It features the children's song "I'm in the Lord's Army."
It includes printable copies of the book and many other posters and activities. 
Here's the preview.
The take it and make it for this week is the soldier pattern that is included in the unit.
Even if you don't teach in a school where you are allowed to use Biblical materials,
you could still use the soldier pattern with your military or other patriotic units.
Here are the steps......
I use the included paper pattern to make a sturdy pattern on card stock 
so that it’s easier to trace multiple copies.
(A GREAT tip that I learned from a crafty parent is to use empty cereal boxes to make patterns on.)

I also label the pattern pieces with the part name and the suggested color. That way, if I am having the students trace their own pieces they have that information readily available. 

Students (or I) use the patterns to trace each piece on the desired colors.  The next step is to cut them out. I never cut out pieces for my students unless they are very tiny.
My goal is not a perfect product that looks exactly like mine.
Since I do not cut for them it usually means that their final products have a LOT of characterJ
Next is the assembly. 
They could be assembled and glued onto a piece of construction paper (and then they could add a background if they wanted). 
Or they could just assemble the character.
Once it has been assembled, they can start adding details. 
On this one we tried to make a little camo.  (One year we found some camo wrapping paper and traced the pieces on that and they were very cool).
Finish up with whatever details they desire.
You could make green, blue or tan camo, or any combinations of army green/brown.
The hair could also be changed to match your students’ hair.


They are very cute lined up “military style” on a bulletin board display.


Hope you like it and will take a look at my unit.
Be sure to head back over to see Cynthia at the 2nd Grade Pad for some other great ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I love the army guy!! I bet your students love to make this craft! Thanks for sharing it!

    Teresa

    2nd Grade Pig Pen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! It will be perfect for Memorial Day or Veteran's Day. Thanks so much for linking up! :-)

    Cynthia
    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips